Hi Frank,

Just a minor point, but yes, you want the inverse FFT. (Um, it’s the same
thing, pretty much, the main issue being scaling, depending on implementation.
Just highlighting that specifying frequency and converting to time domain is
“inverse”, the other is plain or “forward”.)

My series on wavetable oscillators may or may not help. But in a nutshell, the
FFT gives a vast improvement in the speed of calculating harmonically related
sines, and the longer the table, the bigger the win.

http://www.earlevel.com/main/category/digital-audio/oscillators/wavetable-oscillators/?order=ASC