Hello Kevin

I am not convinced that your application totally compares to a continously changed sampling rate, but anyway:

The maths stays the same, so you will have to respect Nyquist and take the artifacts of your AA filter as well as your signal processing into account. This means you might use a sampling rate significantly higher than the highest frequency to be represented correctly and this is the edge frequency of the stop band of your AA-filter.

For a wave form generator in an industrial device, having similar demands, we are using something like DSD internally and perform a continous downsampling / filtering. According to the fully digital representation no further aliasing occurs. There is only the alias from the primary sampling process, held low because of the high input rate.

What you can / must do is an internal upsampling, since I expect to operate with normal 192kHz/24Bit input (?)

Regarding your concerns: It is a difference if you playback the stream with a multiple of the sampling frequency, especially with the same frequency, performing modulation mathematically or if you perform a slight variation of the output frequency, such as with an analog PLL with modulation taking the values from a FIFO. In the first case, there is a convolution with the filter behaviour of you processing, in the second case, there is also a spreading, according to the individual ratio to the new sampling frequency.

From the view of a musical application, case 2 is preferred, because any harmonics included in the stream , such as the wave table, can be preprocess, easier controlled and are a "musical" harmonic. In one of my synths I operate this way, that all primary frequencies come from a PLL buffered 2 stage DDS accesssing the wave table with 100% each so there are no gaps and jumps in the wave table as with classical DDS.