I definitely agree here, start with the easy approach, then put in more
effort when it's needed - but keep in mind you won't be able to get decent
feedback from non-dsp people until the final quality version is done.

If the code is not a key part of your product then you can even take
another step back, if you can find someone else's code that does what you
want then just use that! If that code has detailed information on how it
was derived then if you do need to make a change in the future you can put
in the work later on to understand how it was done and make changes as
needed.

I really appreciate RBJ's Audio EQ cookbook for this sort of approach, and
hopefully I have helped people with the technical paper's I've done too for
the non LTI (modulation) case of linear 2 pole resonant filters / EQ.

Cheers,

Andy