I'm definitely not the most mathy person on the list, but I think there's
something about the complex exponentials, real transforms and the 2-point
case. For all real DFTs you should get a real-valued sample at DC and
Nyquist, which indeed you do get with your matrix. However, there should be
some complex numbers in a matrix for a 4-point DFT, which you won't get no
matter how many matrices of that form you multiply together. My guess is
that yours is a special case of a DFT Matrix for 2 bins. I suspect if you
took a 4-point DFT Matrix and tried the same it might work out better?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DFT_matrix

Stefan