You get me intrigued with this

I actually believe that wavelets are the way to go for such things,
but, besides that anything beyond a Haar wavelet is too complicated for me
(and I just grasp that Haar very superficially of course),

I think one problem is the problem you mentioned - don't do anything with the bands,
only then you have perfect reconstruction

And what to do you do with the bands to make a pitch shift or to preserve formants/do some vocoding?

It's not so obvious (to me), my naive idea I mentioned earlier in this thread was to
do short FFTs on the bands and manipulate the FFTs only

But how? if you time stretch them, I believe the pitch goes down (thats my intuition only, I am not sure)
and also, these bands alias, since the filters are not brickwall,
and the aliasing is only canceled on reconstruction I believe?

So, yes, very interesting topic, that could lead me astray for another couple of weeks but without any results I guess

I think as long as I don't fully graps all the properties of the FFT and phase vocoder I shouldn't start anything new...