thanks for your offer, I can not really read Math lab code and always have a hard time
even figuring out essentials of such code

My phase vocoder already works kind of satisfactorily now as a demo in Native Instruments Reaktor, I do the forward FFT offline and the iFFT "just in time", that means 12 "butterflies" per sample, so you could bring down latency by speeding up the iFFT, though I am not sure what a reasonable latency is. I made a poll on some electronic musicians board and most people voted for 10 ms being just tolerable.

I am half way content with the way it works now, for analysis I have twelve FFTs in parallel, one for each octave with window sizes based on ERB scale per octave, so it's not totally bad on transients but not good either. I assume there is still some room for improvements on the windows, but not very much.

FFT size is 4096, and now I search for ways to improve it, mostly regarding transients. But I am not sure if that's possible with FFT cause I still have pre-ringing, and I cant see how to avoid that completely cause you can only shorten the windows on the low octaves so much.
Maybe with an assymetric window?
If you do the analysis with a IIR filter bank (or wavelets) you kind of have assymmetric windows, that is the filters integrate in a causal way with a decaying "window" they see, but I am not sure if this can be adapted somehow
to an FFT.

An other way that would reduce reverberation and shorten transient times somehwat would be using shorter FFTs for the resynthesis, this would also bring down CPU a bit and latency.

So this is where I am at at the moment