Don Redman wrote:
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 08:27:49 +0100, Lukáš Lalinský wrote:
No impact.

Um, no this is not true. Every change has an impact, otherwise it is not a change. Maybe I should rephrase the question: What is the difference between the way data is stored now and the way it will be stored then?

Ehm, I thought we were talking about the current data. And this change has no impact on them (only on new data).

Presently the node /performed/vocal cannot be selected since choosing a vocal type is mandatory. The proposed change will make this optional, thereby giving the possibility to choose just /perfomed/vocal.

This is not 100% correct. This change allows people to *not* select any specific vocal type, not to select "vocal".

   Conflicts with other Style Guidelines

No.

But the wiki page will have to be corrected. Will you do that?

Hm, which page? http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/PerformerRelationshipType or http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/VocalRelationshipAttribute? The latter already is outdated ;)

But yes, of course I'll do that.

   Impact on Paying Clients

No impact.

This means: No client is currently using this AR data. Is this true? What about Lincara? A client could be disturbed by new data of the VocalRelationshipType without the vocal type set.

This means that system (at least mb_server, and IMO mb_server should be used as a reference for using the data) is designed (and it also does that all the time for "additional", "minor", etc. attributes) to handle missing attributes, so this should have no impact on clients.

If they use the data in some specific non-standard way, then of course it will have impact, but I'm really not sure if we should care about it.

I fear we must require paying clients to describe the way they use MB data if they want us to think of them at this stage of the process.

To be 100% safe we could apply the two weeks notice preiod here.

Ok.