> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:05:03 +0100, Cristov Russell wrote:
>

> > I don't think splitting a wave file constitutes a bootleg.
> A bootleg
> > is an unofficial and often (but not always) unauthorized recording.
> > We're talking about DVDs that are both official and authorized and
> > released by the artists label not someone's home movie.
>
> That is a very important distinction. There are a)
> _recordings_ that are unauthroized, and b) _pressings_ that
> are unauthorized (but the material might be legallyavailable
> by other means).
>
> To be very precise one could call a) a bootleg and b) a
> pirate copy. The immediate question is, however, how is this
> used in MusicBrainz?
>
>    DonRedman

Well pirating would include any rips in some countries depending on their
use. I don't think that is what is really being argued and we don't really
define anything as Pirated nor do I think we should since the definition is
a legal one and can not be applied globally. Bootlegs speak to source,
meaning the origin of the master while pirating speaks to the use of the
"pressings" whether in physical or digital medium.

That's why I'm saying rips from official DVDs are not bootlegged. It just so
happens that the master includes both audio and video in this case. The only
thing that makes them different in the databases is that we do only capture
metadata for the audio portion of the master.

We shouldn't care at all what the original medium is only that it comes from
an official or non-official source. In essence this is already the case
since we allow mediums other than CDs such as vinyl and tape and we also
allow the splitting of that information into usable sequences of data. It's
not unthinkable that the CDs will be released as DVD audio.

Oh wait! They already do that! :-)

So in essence the only reason these are any different is that there is video
data alongside the audio. Nothing there constitutes bootleg.

--
Cristov (wolfsong)

For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and big words Bother me.
Winnie the Pooh