>DonRedman wrote:
>> >
>> > I fully agree with Stefan here.
> >
> > And I very strongly disagree. The current db schema has the
> > Album to store
> > the tracklisting and the release to store different releases
> > of that same
> > audio material.
>
> It's not about the audio material!
[...]
> The fact that an
> album and the same album released in a boxset have identical audio material,
> is circumstantial (If there were track added in the version in the boxset,
> it would be listed as a different album in MB too). People want to see this
> a 2 different albums, and want to be able to tag against them without having
> to correct the tags again afterwards.

There is no _real_ problem with this approach. Don's and me only
reacted to the a bit to short cut quoting of your original mail, which
I think, you wouldn't agree with as well.

Allowing 2 entries for similar albums with different data, that could
only be stored in the album annotation, is not the problem; we just
need to build some small rule on this and allow people who edit such
things to predict the outcome of a voting on their mods. On the other
hand, allowing a new entry for every new release of an album in a
general way is a problem ATM.

> > On the Summit Robert made very clear that AR cannot and will
> > not replace
> NO, and NO! I have never suggested to replace the primary relationships with
> ARs, where does this even come from?. We talked on the summit about this,
> that at first, we'd duplicate every part of the Structure in
> NadelnderBambus. Later on, we would start developing tools to merge together
> objects that are above the level of the tracklisting, to establish the fact
> that this is the same element. And to provide a means to attach ARs to
> elements, and thus apply to all the elements attached to it.

Yep.

> > the hard-coded primary relationships in the DB.
> > Besides that AR does not offer a grouping object. You would
> > trade the
> > current situation for an unmaintainable DontMakeRelationshipClusters
> I'd propose that performance ARs should be added to the first release, and
> that editors abstain from adding un-necessary duplication for other versions
> of the same tracklisting. Where do you fear we would risk having
> relationship clusters, I cannot follow you.

Clustering is not the main problem here, but the parallelization of 1
to n relationships, which store exactly the same information might be.

#Fuchs