Hi,

as the title says, I would like to change
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/OtherVersionRelationshipType to what it really is
about: re-recordings. The current name and the link-phrases are unnecessarily
misleading, I think we can describe it much better and less fuzzy.

I already proposed new link phrases and additional attributes on the page:
- track has later {acoustic} {live} recording(s) track,
- track is a later {acoustic} {live} recording of track
Those would fit the meaning in the current link-direction (those are a bit
incosnsitent anyways, CoverRelationshipType and RemixRelationshipType link in
the other direction). One problem I could see though is: the current
description for the link type says the first entity of the relationship must be
the first released track, no matter if the other one was recorded earlier. I
wonder if someone actually cared about this? I think it loses information - the
chronilogical release order can be determined by release dates, the
chronological recording order can't.

The additional attributes are pretty much self-explaning I think. What do you
think about them? Note that any combination of them makes sense, so they don't
need to be in any way exclusive (which isn't possible with AR anyways).

Then I would like to extend the relationship type to release entities:
- release has later {acoustic} {live} recording(s) release,
- release is a later {acoustic} {live} recording of release
Some examples:
- Pagan's Mind - Infinity Divine
 http://musicbrainz.org/album/e316d316-d185-472c-9392-95879059509d.html was
rereleased with vocals re-recorded and a changed track-order in
http://musicbrainz.org/album/4930d567-60c8-4eec-a76c-cab25311e787.html
- Dungeon - Resurrection
 http://musicbrainz.org/album/5ceca3a2-6c45-490a-89e9-46cc94f9c1f8.html has a
re-recorded release
http://musicbrainz.org/album/6f824cca-3438-4bf5-922b-adbe5f94198e.html
- Silbermond - Verschwende Deine Zeit
 http://musicbrainz.org/album/afa4e30a-9c88-4b86-a8d7-ffea961ff38e.html has
live recording
http://musicbrainz.org/album/d6c597b7-8858-45d2-b59a-617ad50232b8.html
(debatable)
- Marillion - Marbles: this double CD release was nearly exactly performed
live. Not sure how I would link that, because it's both 2 CDs.
 Studio release:
http://musicbrainz.org/album/3f1cc80f-4507-48a9-899c-c1bda83280c2.html and
http://musicbrainz.org/album/bfc2864a-b3e2-43a7-be2e-d6913359d638.html
 Live release:
http://musicbrainz.org/album/0c724b38-216e-4a33-931e-f23c7f175792.html and
http://musicbrainz.org/album/3ffa5424-9cbc-40cd-afa1-57045fbd2585.html
 Then they also had 1-disc releases of both:
 http://musicbrainz.org/album/ab151aa6-7538-4e93-be60-eded52b5b7b7.html and
http://musicbrainz.org/album/bdc6ee20-edd8-4a74-8666-f6f90a67a36a.html
- Metallica - Master of Puppets
 http://musicbrainz.org/album/fed37cfc-2a6d-4569-9ac0-501a7c7598eb.html was
covered by Dream Theater: http://musicbrainz.org/showalbum.html?albumid=217784
 Currently it is linked with new CoverRelationshipType but I think "is a later live
recording of" would work as well (btw: we have the same problem with
MedleyRelationshipType and coverRelationshipType, in some situations both work).

Comments?

Simon (Shepard)