My issue is with the relation attributes. There is any number of
attributes that differentiate two different recordings of tracks, see
[A] for a partial list. Why we should select just "live" and
"acoustic" is rather mysterious to me.

[A] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ClarifyExtraTitleInformation

On top of that, like you said, there are covers and medleys, and also
parodies, translations, karaoke tracks, and I'm sure quite some other
things we won't ever think about (on an audio CD, a rendering of a
fan-sequenced MIDI of a song is a cover?)

Also, rather funny things happen (semantically) when the initial
version has one of the attributes. For example we can deduce from a
"later version" relation with an "acoustic" attribute that the later
version is acoustic, but there's no AR way to deduce that the early
version was acoustic too; this is an annoying asymetry, especially
since these ARs are intended primarily for automated interpretation.

The only solution I see is that we should make a clear separation
between attributes that are relevant to the relation and those that
are relevant to the tracks: acoustic or live is a track attribute,
cover or parody or translated is an attribute of the re-releasing
process; a simple way to see if an attribute is a relation attribute
is if it is meaningless when there is a single release of a song: live
and acoustic still make sense, but cover or translation don't (BUT,
_language_ would, if we would store it).

I propose we do just that: remove "live" and "acoustic" from the AR.
If we can, in the future, we may add such attributes to the tracks
themselves in a machine-readable way (we retain mix names and version
info as text now).

If we keep/add attributes for the "later/earlier recording"
relationship, I propose we only keep/add those that pass by test
above. Examples of such attributes are "cover", "translation",
"partial", "parody", "medley" (though this depends on how exactly we
define medley).

This is not as straightforward as it seemed (to me) at first:
*) some of these attributes can be automatically added (some now, some
in the future): for example, cover (now: different artist) and
translation (later: different track languages).
*) but it's not that easy: if "Iron Maiden" re-records, say, Bruce
Dickinson's "Chemical Wedding", is it a cover? After all, Bruce is
still on it...
*) other are not really attributes: a parody is not really a
re-recording, and you could argue neither is a translation, but they
are very closely-related relationships. And what happens when someone
releases a track that has the same music but totally unrelated lyrics
with a song, or the other way around?

Has the possibility of building a real ontology been discussed before?
You know, OWL and RDF stuff?

-- Bogdan Butnaru — [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I think I am a fallen star, I should wish on myself." – O.

On 4/23/06, Simon Reinhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as the title says, I would like to change
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/OtherVersionRelationshipType to what it really is
> about: re-recordings.
[...]
> I already proposed new link phrases and additional attributes on the page:
> - track has later {acoustic} {live} recording(s) track,
> - track is a later {acoustic} {live} recording of track
[...]