2006/5/9, Age Bosma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Frederic Da Vitoria wrote:
> I asked the question first on MB Users because I felt it belonged
> there, but Don Suggested I ask here too, so here we go.
>
> I had a feeling (but I may be wrong, since I couldn't find any written
> confirmation about this) that in classical MB admitted entering
> different releases (in terms of dates, country or publisher) as long
> as the recordings were the same (same track listing, same performers,
> same performance) and no "remixing" (i.e. no digital cleaning) was
> done. So that if an editor re-issued a cheap edition of a previous
> issue from a major editor, it could still be considered as the same
> album (but the Sony digitally reworked releases of Glenn Gould should
> be entered separately).
>
> Don answered that:
>> The current definition of what exactly is a release in MusicBrainz
>> is a bit hazy. And the definition sems to move more and more
>> toward "A release is an edition of an album". If we continue with this
>> tendency we will need a grouping AdvancedEntity (like the AlbumObject
>> in the ObjectModel) pretty soon.
>
> Personally, in the current situation, I'd rather not enter a new
> release each time. I would have to re-enter almost all the classical
> albums I found in MB :-( The track listing will be the same most of
> the times (with small linguistic differences sometimes).

In the particular case you are referring to [1] the situation is a bit
different.
I don't have any problems with adding a date of a
re-packaged/re-released release to an existing one but only if they are
completely identical in terms of the track list(s) (and its sequence)
and amount of discs. This is not the case with the situation you are
referring to. You entered a date of a release which have the tracks on a
different disc and, I assume, have a different total amount of discs.
This makes it a completely different release.

Age

*I* actually didn't enter anything, but no problem. I was only
checking how I should vote. But you are right, the number of discs or
disc ordering can make a difference (though technically, it should
make a difference to the box set, not to the particular disc - I know,
we don't have box sets yet)

--
Frederic Da Vitoria