From: Steve Wyles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MusicBrainz style discussion <musicbrainz-style@lists.musicbrainz.org>
Subject: Re: [mb-style] SG5...again (*ducks*)
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 11:48:12 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 25 May 2006, Chris Bransden wrote:

> http://musicbrainz.org/showmod.html?modid=4831652
>
> I agree with the 'yes' voters here - the same track can be 'x (feat.
> y)', 'y (feat. x)', or 'x & y', on different releases. eg, a guest
> artist is typically billed as (feat.) on a release on which their
> contribution is restricted to 1 track! the single of 'sisters are
> doin' it for themselves' would bill Aretha higher because in the
> context of that single she gets a higher billing. however i don't
> think that should impact the artist attributed to that track in all
> contexts.

I'm glad you brought this up in the mailing list.

There is no point in changing who it is credited to according to the
release that a work appeared on. The work is identical whether it appears
on a Single, Eurythmics an AF album or a VA compilation. The people who
receive the royalties are the same in each instance.

As I stated previouly on IRC this is an identical situation to the Queen &
David Bowie release of Under Pressure.

On the album in question, in the liner notes it is shown as a duet, on the
liner notes of Respect: The Very Best of AF it is also shown as a duet.
What is a duet if it is not a collaboration?

http://www.annie-lennox.com/sisters2.htm

"Tina Turner was first choice for the collaboration but she turned the
Eurythmics down because the song was apparently too feminist in content. "

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002VD3/

"... and a rocking collaboration with Eurythmics, "Sisters Are Doin' It
for Themselves," that she completely takes over."

"Lennox came to the party looking a helluvalot happier than she does in
the pictures. She's over her big divorce, which is what the album is
about, and she's been touring all over the world.

Is there anyone she wants to duet with? (She has one famous hit
collaboration, with Aretha Franklin, on "Sisters Are Doin' It For
Themselves.")

"I don't think so," she said in her heavy brogue. "I'm happy singing solo
I think."

>From the Grammy awards:

http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/1986/grammys.htm

"BEST R&B VOCAL PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP" -

other nominees:
Ashford & Simpson - Solid
Eurythmics & Aretha Franklin - "Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves"
Hall & Oates, David Ruffin & Eddie Kendrick - "The Way You Do The Things
You Do / My Girl"
The Pointer Sisters - Contact"

You'll notice in the Grammys, it wasn't just Eurthymics or Aretha Franklin
nominated for the award, it was both!

If that doesn't prove it is a collaboration, what does?

Steve (inhouseuk)