On Thu, 25 May 2006, Chris Bransden wrote:

On 25/05/06, Steve Wyles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, 25 May 2006, Chris Bransden wrote:

> IMO sg5 was a problem because you HAD to make everything an "X (feat.
> Y)", regardless of how it was actually billed. This is obviously crap,
> but it seems now we're going the opposite way and making everything a
> collaboration!
>
> what i want to know is: are you saying that we should:
> a) reflect reality (ie, we decide what's a colloboration and what
> isn't, not the sleeves)
> b) reflect what a song is billed as on its first releasei
> c) not use feat. x at all
>
> i say: d) use what's on the sleeve as it's (normally) contextually
> appropriate

I say a) Go by known fact.

but that's just it - what is the known fact? what defines 'feat.' and
what defines collaborations? once we appreciate that a single will
more likely use X & Y, and an album X (feat. Y), then this is a
definition we have to make.

and what if an artist isn't even billed on a release, yet their
contribution is more than or equal to the billed artist?

        Otherwise in this particular instance and many others, the only
release that would be under the collaboration artist would be the single. This makes SG5DR completely pointless and we're back to the mess
of .feat, one way on the release by one artist and the opposite way for
when the same work is released by the other equally billed artist.

well yeah - aretha is a guest on an eurythmics album, but not on a
aretha franklin compilation. and on the single they get equal billing
- it depends on the context IMO.

When in
actual fact they are exactly the same work and should be titled and
credited identically. Oh! and don't forget the thousands of Performed AR's

SG5DR came about from the need to normalise the data a little better, are
people now saying that we should go back to the old .feat mechanism?

no definitely not - i don't think we should force feat. when it's not
written (eg under the old system i had to change collaboration albums
to X feat. Y, where who was x and who was y was entirely arbitrary),
but i don't think we should get rid of it alltogether. like i said,
what makes a feat. and what makes a collab? how can you define this?

Those are already defined in the styleguides.

With this particular work, I would say the featured performer is actually The Charles Williams Singers who were the gospel choir on it. :)

See: http://www.inhouse.co.uk/misc/sisters.jpg

Steve (inhouseuk)