2006/7/26, Bogdan Butnaru <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
I'm curious, where did the the idea of the exceptions came from?

They are not exceptions. That's a myth.
They are rules.
There are two rules: one for sentence (sentence mode), and one for non
verbal phrases (cap if it match one of the two schemes)

It seems rather strange to me, especially the fact that they apply
even if the title contains other words. For example "The Highly
Unbelievable Story of anything else" would look very weird, even in
French. I could see the point of "The Story of some imaginary title"
or "The Wondorous Story", though I don't see why "An incredible story"
would be different.

French is silly? :p

In the interest of consistency and uniformity I'd drop all exceptions.

In the interest of keeping MB in phase with proper french usage as
used in the editing industry, I would keep them ;)

But I'd still want to know what's their origin.

I think I recall the wikipedia discussion has some hints and give a
number of good publications to back it.
At the end of it, still, it boils down to: common usage and inherited
typographic practices.
Which you can of course criticize ;)

- Olivier