I totally agree (with you and nikki); there are thousands of these alternate
releases in the database; I've seen them, and a lot I've entered myself.
And to allow this or not is a moot point now, first because it's already
there and second because it fits into NGS as useful information.  The amount
of transl(iter)ations in MB are much bigger than most people think, mainly
because a lot of the Latin entries aren't the originals, we just haven't had
the original script and language entered yet.  It's not till you have to
verify some info or verify an Amazon link when you realize its original
version is a different language than exists in the database.  Removing these
would have a huge impact and shoots ourselves in the foot when NGS is
implemented; sure it’s a mess now but it’s an amazing benefit later down the
line.  If NGS was a couple weeks away I could see not worrying about this
AR, but what it does now not only helps clean up the mess of duplicates but
it smooths the transition when we can finally merge it all.

As for some of the concerns to get out of the way.  With PUIDs, TRMs Disc
IDs, there are duplicates. I say “there are” because we’re not creating
split releases with this AR; they already exist, we’re just tying them
together for easier navigation till they’re merged with NGS.  I’m not sure
how powerful an AR programming can be and if this AR could tell the database
to share PUIDs etc. between both releases; my guess is its not possible
since that’s one of the things NGS will be doing.  We may have to keep going
with the duplicates for now and later the system can apply the IDs to both
versions and let the user decide what to use.

As for what to call this instead of “virtual” I think “Alternate
language/script titles” is a bit big but “Alternate” or “Alternate Version”
is perfect.  If anybody has questions what it means they can click the
[help] link next to release type and get the long winded version of how it
should be used (ironically it’s giving me a 404 error right now).