I'd like to second Nikki's arguments in favor of this AR type and the new release type (Virtual, or whatever alternative name we end up with). The data is there already, we want to use it eventually, forbidding it won't work, and we'll just end up having to re-enter the data if we start encouraging editors to delete it.

The difference between these transl(iter)ation "releases" and the Billboard and other playlists, is that these are an attempt to describe releases that actually do exist (within the limitations of the current DB schema). I won't belabor this point, I think Nikki has done an admirable job of arguing for it.

As for the "worst possible solution" of having PUIDs, DiscIDs, etcetera, scattered across multiple real or translated releases; I agree that this is not ideal, but until the NGS is actually implemented, it seems better to capture the additional (and difficult to generate) data on transl(iter)ations this way than to throw it away entirely. I will note that there is clearly significant editor interest in creating and maintaining these trans(liter)ations, especially for Asian releases, and I'm sure that Nikki's estimate of thousands of entries is not far off the mark. Once we have NGS, we can simply merge the virtual entries into the real releases (although there will be some cases where there are multiple physical releases that are translations of each others titles, not sure how NGS deals with this, although I'm sure it is effectively addressed). I know that it's hard to argue against both of the two most significant developers when they think something is a bad idea, but I'm 100% with Nikki on this, and there are definitely other automods (Orion for sure, probably others) who have strong feelings on this.

To address the specifics of the proposal:

A prior iteration of this discussion had proposed an "official" link attribute, and I pointed out that this was a property of the release(s) in question, and not the trans(liter)ation AR; once this was removed, there wasn't much difference between the two directions, and I suggested symmetric relationship names for the two directions since for the purpose of internationalization, it doesn't actually matter which one is original and which is a translation - you just want to display the one that best matches the languages/scripts the user is willing to accept. However, given the number of MB editors who seem to prefer "original titles, no matter whether I can read or even display them" I can see some benefit to having an "original" directionality.

Deciding which are the "original" titles when there are simultaneous official releases with titles in different languages will be tricky, but I guess that's what we have editors and voting for. Chris B's suggestion to use the actual language of the songs is a reasonable guideline for songs, although it doesn't help for musical works without words (instrumentals). There are also probably some cases where there are multiple different translations entered in the DB, but the originals have not actually been entered (e.g. a release with Amharic (Ethiopian) and (translated) English titles on the cover, where only the English has been entered, the English titles are not really the "original" for a French translation). [Note for Nikki - do we actually have any Amharic script entries?] The "song language" guideline doesn't help settle the originality of different script versions for the same language (e.g. a Serbian album with Cyrillic and Latin script versions). However, regardless of what obscure corner cases I can come up with, I am convinced that having an "original" directionality is, on balance, the better solution (especially since it makes it explicit how one should avoid relationship clusters).

So I would second Jason Salaz's improvement of:

<a> is the original language/script track listing of <b>
<b> is an alternate language/script track listing of <a>

As for the need for a "Virtual" release type attribute - the original purpose of this was to avoid overloading the "Bootleg" (or "Unknown") release type for user-provided transl(iter)ations - my original mail at http://lists.musicbrainz.org/pipermail/musicbrainz-style/2006-July/003380.html has other ones as well: to segregate this information in a different part of the discography, and to identify cases where there is actually only one real release; in many cases there are multiple official releases (possibly with different DiscIDs, even though the track order and audio data are identical) which contain transl(iter)ated titles that can be used for internationalization.

As for the name of the release type, "Virtual" is not ideal (and probably encourages entry of things like playlists that we don't want). However, "Translation/Transliteration" or "Trans(liter)ation" is rather confusing, and having separate release types for "Translation" and "Transliteration" creates redundancy and the possibility of inconsistency, since whether it is a translation or transliteration is already determined by the languages/scripts of the two releases: if the languages are different, it is a translation, if the languages are the same but the scripts are different, it is a transliteration, and if both the languages and scripts are the same it is a "transcoding" to work around Unicode issues or something similar.

As a least worst alternative, I would propose that the new release type be named "Alternate language/script titles" - this makes it clear that it is only to be used for this purpose, and while verbose, at least matches the wording in the AR links where it is intended to be used.

Finally, on the subject of using the AR and release type for transcoded titles to work around Unicode issues and so forth, Nikki suggested that we accept, but not encourage these until we have tagger script support. I agree entirely with Nikki's suggestion, but given the strong opinions of the lead developers about this I am perfectly willing to exclude this type of alternate title explicitly, since the information that is lost by deleting such entries is easily recreated by practically any editor (unlike the information lost by deleting transl(iter)ations, which require editors with specific language skills to recreate).

@alex

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]