Hi all -

This was discussed recently but unfortunately that discussion tailed off fairly
quickly without any consensus being reached.

My feeling is that there is a need for some sort of style guideline for how to
deal with the myriad different types of releases one might find in the
soundtrack section of a music store - the benchmark I use for what an
uninitiated observer might reasonably consider a "soundtrack".  Some of these
MB will consider soundtracks, others we wouldn't - I posted some examples in
the earlier discussion.

Defining exactly what we consider to be a soundtrack is essential in my opinion
as it isn't necessarily obvious to everybody, including myself.  There are
releases in MB that to me should be soundtracks, no question, and others that
shouldn't.

The second point is that there are cases where it is appropriate to use a
classical attribution style - notably on film scores - and others where it
would make more sense to attribute using the performer as we do in most other
cases.  The problem seems to lie in defining where classical and non-classical
style should apply.  A simple guideline of Score=classical and anything else
attributes the performer seems overly simplistic to me.

Using your example of The Sound of Music, while you're right that Julie Andrews
is the main performer, there are tracks with other contributors.  Does Julie
Andrews even perform on "How do you Solve a Problem like Maria?" (a song
*about* her character rather than *by* her), for example?  Crediting Julie
Andrews as artist on the entire release is at best partially wrong.  Other
musicals don't even have a single primary performer, so should we make pseudo
artists representing the entire main cast?

While I take your point that it is perhaps more of interest to an end user to
identify with the performer, how different is this to the discussion
surrounding ClassicalStyle?  At least for ensemble performances where artist
attributions could easily vary from track to track (Artist A/Artist B on one
track, Artist A/Artist C on another, and Artist A/Artist B/Artist C on a
third), the composer(s) would appear to make more sense, and ARs are there to
represent performances in a more meaningful way than multiple pseudo-artists.

I note http://musicbrainz.org/release/031159eb-ebed-4dd0-a1fb-71902ad2de8c.html
doesn't have any ARs to attribute performers, or an annotation to the release
indicating that it is the motion picture version of the soundtrack starring
Julie Andrews.  Both are allowed and should be there, but either would address
the problem you raised in the annotation.

I'm not disagreeing that Soundtrack and SoundtrackTitle styles are a mess and
need reworking. Indeed I'd even be willing to have a stab a doing so myself if
we could form at least a basic consensus on these points.

Regards,
Barry