On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Aaron Cooper wrote:

On 27-Feb-08, at 8:10 PM, Mike Morrison wrote:

OK, so once we have NGS everyone can have what they want, right? We'll have work titles and track titles. The work title can be full CSG(S), while the track title can be what's on the cover. So each track will have these two titles associated with it.

For now, how about if we use the track title field for one of the two titles, and annotations for the other? We need somewhere to store the "other" title for now anyway, right? I don't care which title goes in which spot. If the one I like better ends up in the annotations, I'll copy and paste it into my local files if need be.

Then when NGS is implemented, we can migrate the information from the annotations into the appropriate field.

I don't understand what we're discussing because classical works don't
have "tracks" or "track titles"-they have "work titles.

I agree.

A classical recording has tracks, but what do you use as the track
titles?

Personally, I like to use full-length CSGS-style work titles on the
tracks. However, it appears that some editors want track titles which are
shorter, or which more closely match the physical release cover.

As I gather from your email (and those of some other similar-minded
editors) we want to put the "track title" in the "track title" field...
so we look to the track listing on the CD... and we find "work titles"
don't we? (serious question)

On most of the releases I own, yes. But maybe not on some releases with less-complete cover information ("Mozart: Allegro")?

It's not like classical works have a work title (Symphony No. 5 in C
minor, Op. 125: I. Allegro con brio) and then also a track title
version.  The way we refer to that piece is with the work title unless
we chop out the actual work name (Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 125)
and just write "I. Allegro con brio".

Are we debating whether we should copy from the CD "Symphony No. 5: I.
Allegro con brio" or whether to add missing information to write
"Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op. 125: I. Allegro con brio"?

Yes, I think that has been the thrust of the debate. I'd like to add the
additional information, but it appears that not everyone agrees. I don't
want to speak for those folks, but I think they do see the work title and
the track title as two different things.

Mike