On Pi, 2008-02-29 at 10:36 +0100, symphonick wrote:
> I have to check if I understand this NGS-stuff correctly:
> Many (most) classical releases have "headings" in the tracklist, wich
> gives the context for the following tracks. I randomly picked
> http://www.bis.se/index.php?op=album&aID=BIS-SACD-1618
> I do agree that "I. Allegro" is a perfectly fine track name _in
> context of the above heading_. Outside of that context, it's just any
> first movement with the tempo marking "Allegro".
>
> That tracklist would look like this with worktitles removed:
>   1.  I. Allegro
>   2.  II. Andante
>   3.  III. Rondeau. Allegro
>   4.  I. Allegro
>   5.  II. Adagio
>   6.  III. Rondeau. Tempo di Menuetto
>   7.  I. Allegro
>   8.  II. Andante
>   9.  III. Rondeau. Allegro
>
> & so would the webinterface & the directory on my media
> player/computer. Now, am I correct in assuming that:

> 1) The webinterface will show the NGS-worktitle on every track - or
> even better: once above a group of tracks with the same worktitle?

No. In the entire NGS thread by "work title" I meant full work title
including movement, etc. Something that represents a piece of music. On
the other hand when I say "track title" I mean title used for a specific
track on a specific release. This might map to one musical work,
multiple works or a just part of it. But there are no headings, no
groups, etc. All you have is a simple list of text fields. In this
specific example it would be:

1. Concerto in E-flat major for two pianos, KV365: I. Allegro
2. Concerto in E-flat major for two pianos, KV365: II. Andante
3. Concerto in E-flat major for two pianos, KV365: III. Rondeau. Allegro

This represents the actual recorded music, mastered and recorded on a CD
("what is says"). This probably won't change, because MB is and probably
will be used mainly as a database for tagging/CD lookups.

But then you have a database of musical works with structure like this:

* Concerto in E-flat major for two pianos (cat#: KV365, year: 1779)
  * I. Allegro
  * II. Andante
  * III. Rondeau. Allegro

This represents music in abstract, but structured, way ("what it is").
You can add more levels to this structure if you want, so you can list
e.g. all concertos for piano by the composer. The point is that you can
link one track to one or more works. This way you can see all recorded
tracks of a particular musical work, and you can also see which works
are played on a particular track.

Somebody in this thread mentioned that classical music has no tracks,
which I guess is the main point of confusion here. Classical music
really has no tracks, but classical releases do have tracks and do have
track titles. But again, this is no different to non-classical music. It
has no tracks either, it has songs and releases of them again have
tracks and track titles.

> 2) Picard will be able to attach the worktitle to title-tag & filename?

Probably, maybe. :)

Lukas