>  Maybe that isn't that important, I can't think of any decent example
>  where it mattered, but you're right, band lineups are often fluid
>  between albums anyway.

Heh.  You posted perfectly good examples right there, but it only
reinforces the point that it's not really necessary.

What matters (IMHO) is:

Did they change their name themselves.  For whatever purpose, did the
band, itself, while still together, decide they needed a new name, and
do they have music released under both (all) names.

What we don't want (again, IMHO) is:

Using such an AR to deal with the fact that post-career compilations
tend to invent bazillions of name combinations that never actually
existed.  Those should still be merged out of existence, this AR
should only be for _real_ band name changes.

Hopefully that's clearer than my first attempt.

--
Lauri Watts.