On Mon, January 19, 2009 8:05 pm, Jason Longland wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Just curious with the classical styling guide as to why with the advent
> of ID3v2 tagging you still force it to use the Composer as the Artists
> when the newer ID3 tags all have the composer field available.

Yeah, this comes up periodically.  I'd say that one big reason is that
Artist=Composer is the way many of the active classical editors *like*
recordings to be organized.  It mirrors the way record stores used to be
organized (back in the olden days when people actually went to
brick-and-mortar stores to browse for music.)

And, "Composer" is still not supported by every piece of hardware I use.

> After
> all, would it not make more sense to use the Artist who actually
> performed the track as the Artist so that media players can pick
> everything up as being the same CD when you search for say San Francisco
> Symphony Orchestra versus having to go through and look for a dozen
> different composers?

As Aaron pointed out, in these situations (where multiple composers appear
on one disc) the "Release Artist" is set to the performer.  Plus, you
could always sort by album title if you are having a problem.

However, aside from just making a redundant post, I wanted to assert my
(slightly OT) idea for a Picard plug-in - a quick Artist-Switcher, for
people who really would rather categorize a release under a performer.
So, you select an album, hit the switcher, and it reads all the ARs,
offering you big fat buttons that would switch out the Release Artist or
all Track Artists for one of the AR'ed names.  Doesn't seem like it would
be hard to make, and it would make performer-oriented people happy.

- Dave Smey (bklynd)