2009/6/9 Lukáš Lalinský <lalin...@gmail.com>

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Robert Kaye<r...@eorbit.net> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Someone from http://www.akuma.de contacted me and asked if we were
> > interested in adding AR links to the akuma.de. They are also willing
> > to help pay for the creation of the links.
> >
> > I'd rather do this:
> > - Create the AR link (as we did for the BBC)
> > - Have them have their own team add the links.
> > - Have them send us a donation.
> >
> > What are the general thoughts on this?
>
> I'd rather not add a site-specific AR for this. They don't seem to
> provide any valuable data. Discographies are from AMG (but apparently
> they use MB data too, but they don't promote it), videos are from
> YouTube, concert dates are from Eventful. If anything, I'd prefer to
> link to the source sites, not to a mashup. If this is just for money,
> we can automatically link to their search.

My first instinct was to agree with Lukáš.

However, I wonder what the actual value of an AR is.  Given the vagueness of
some URL ARs (community page, the generic "can be purchased for mail order
at" AR, etc), where just about any site is allowed, if it meets the generic
conditions for the AR, I wouldn't see anything objectionable for sites which
would be willing to pay for AR links, so long as 1) They actually pay, 2)
they provide some data of use (even if it is a mashup - a freebase link
wouldn't be objectionable to me, as a similar type of thing), 3) there is
absolutely nothing "harmful" about the site - spyware, etc, 4) if the site
sells mp3s or whatever, it's doing it legally, and 5) they are willing to do
the work to add the ARs themselves.

With most of the more useful music data sites moving towards interlinked
data, where at least some data is coming from external sources (like MB), I
think blocking sites just because they do mashups, apart from the $ issue,
would be somewhat shortsighted.

I would suggest, if this were done, that it not be an entirely new specific
AR, but rather, a generic one, with this type of site a specific attribute
to that AR.  I can't figure just what the AR would be, but "artist Foo has a
(something) at akuma.de page http://bar";, rather than "artist Foo has a
akuma.de page at http://bar";.

After all, what harm is there in adding links, so long as the links are
actually for that artist?

Brian