On 1.8.2009, at 3.40, Brian Schweitzer wrote:

> Why do we want to group different versions of an album together,
> even if one has bonus tracks, or one has a bonus disc?  At heart,
> they're still essentially the same audio, even if there is more
> audio (via extra tracks, etc) on some versions.  We group stero and
> mono versions together, but that's still the *same* audio, just
> (relatively minorly) different mixes of it.

Once you take a deeper look into this, you'll notice that this really
only applies to albums, and not all of them either.

It doesn't apply to (all) singles - the edit notes already mentioned
that some singles contain no common tracks; they are only part of a
semantic group, defined, in the end, by the publisher.

On the other hand, you already mentioned remixes, which share the
recording but don't share the release group with the original album.
Let It Be [... Naked] is an example of an album which is broken into
two different release groups, even though it's mostly just a question
of remixing/remastering - people just seem to think they are different
enough.

And how about compilations? There's no common recording, no same
session. The contents of different versions of a compilation may vary
wildly;  for an example, see King of Pop by Michael Jackson
(http://musicbrainz.org/release-group/4940f9c1-389b-3366-8745-e861adc1b95f.html
) which has different contents for different countries. Yes, they have
same tracks, too, but the real common nominator is the name and
semantic notion of compilation.

> After all, are we trying to achieve clean-looking artist listings,
> or are we actually trying to acurately document audio release
> groups, using some consistent standard?

To tell the truth, it looks like the first one is the more useful part
of release groups - and isn't that the reason they were introduced
ahead of schedule?

That doesn't mean the release groups should be created randomly.
Consistent standard is nice. However, that doesn't mean that standard
should be the same across all release classes. To tell the truth, I
don't think it _can_ be the same across all release classes, and
definitely not the way you're trying to define it.

--
  Sami Sundell
  ssund...@iki.fi