On 11/30/2010 11:53 AM, Bogdan Butnaru wrote:
> 2) Use of the hyphen to separate date components is not only
> *extremely* common, it is AFAIK dictated by the ISO8601 standard (and
> many standards based on it, including XQuery (personal experience),
> and now that I think of it pretty much all programming languages I've
> ever used that even had a date data-type). I'm all for fancy
> typography when it is *standard*, but in this case we would
> deliberately ignore standard usage.

ISO 8601 actually specifies a hyphen[1], and notes that for ISO/IEC 646
(i.e. ASCII, basically) this would be mapped to the hyphen-minus.  It
makes no comment about Unicode/ISO 10646.

Relevant quotation from ISO 8601:
In representations the following characters are used as separators:
[-] (hyphen): to separate the time elements “year” and “month”, “year”
and “week”, “year” and “day”, “month” and “day”, and “week” and “day”
…
In an environment where use is made of a character repertoire based on
ISO/IEC 646, “hyphen” and “minus” are both mapped onto “hyphen-minus”.

However, Musicbrainz is not such an environment so that doesn’t
necessarily apply.  One logical interpretation would be that ISO 10646
environments like MB should use the hyphen character, U+2010.

Either way, it sounds like if we want to stick with literal ISO-8601 we
need to use either hyphen-minus or a true hyphen.

—Alex Mauer “hawke”