Don't all silent tracks on a release have an artistic purpose? Otherwise I
don't think they would be on the release. I'd keep them separate.
-- Inviato dal mio cellulare Android con K-9 Mail.

Nikki <aei...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

Hi, While Kuno and I were talking about the special purpose track titles, we
ended up completely disagreeing about when the same recordings should be used.
My opinion on [silence] is that 2 seconds of silence is 2 seconds of silence so
it would be the same recording regardless of the artist or release (I would
personally just use a single [silence] recording by [no artist] with no length
set for all silent tracks) Kuno however thinks silence on one release is not
the same as silence on another release or by another artist, so they should
only be merged if they're the same length, on the same album and by the same
artist. Then for [data track], there was a suggestion to merge data tracks and
simply have [data track] by [data]. To me it seems really weird to merge
completely different data tracks but keep silent tracks separate. Kuno thinks
that since it's just a placeholder and we don't store information about the
data tracks (we don't store information about silent tracks
either...?), that it's fine to merge them (although it wasn't his suggestion
originally and he just doesn't really mind either way). I'm guessing we'll
probably just end up not saying anything in the guidelines for now and seeing
what people do, but I'm still interested in what other people think. Nikki P.S.
I'm only referring to actual [silence] tracks, not the ones which are
"creative" silence like 4'33" (or whatever it's called) and not ones which
aren't really silent (I wouldn't use [silence] at all if it's not actually