On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 22:53, Kuno Woudt <k...@frob.nl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 22/05/11 15:53, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>> Before NGS I added some releases where both English and Chinese titles
>> appear on the cover. I created one release for each language.
>> http://musicbrainz.org/release/0a4a71ed-b7d9-44f9-91dd-5cacec86060e
>> and http://musicbrainz.org/release/a78902cf-4ed1-414b-ae34-80076f6142f9
>> is one such pair.
>>
>> With NGS it feels unclear to have multiple releases where there is
>> only one physical release, so I've tried to merge these in
>> http://musicbrainz.org/edit/14491834 and
>> http://musicbrainz.org/edit/14491847
>>
>> Is this an approach that people agree with? The languages are joined
>> in a very peculiar manner here, with _. What should one do when two
>> languages appear on the cover in a more independent fashion, as in
>> http://musicbrainz.org/edit/7588058 (I only added the Chinese variants
>> for this, see cover at
>> http://www.114bt.com/btimg/2007/1/6/682751.jpg)?
>
> In that cover image one of the languages is clearly the main tracklist,
> with the other just supplemental.  IF you were to merge those my
> suggestion would be to use this format:
>
> 1. Primary Language (Secondary Language)
>
> That seems the most common format used elsewhere.
>
>> It seems sane tagging will be made harder by merging these, because
>> almost no one will want both languages, I'm guessing. Should we
>> perhaps just use pseudo-releases for tracklists on a usable form and
>> leave the official releases in their original true-to-the-cover form?
>
> I wouldn't strongly object to combining both languages in a single
> release, but I would prefer not to start doing that just yet.
>
> I think we should just keep doing what we've been doing before NGS,
> so two releases in our database - link them with translation
> relationships and mark both official.  And formulate how we think
> translations _should_ work, then I can start coding that feature
> and we can have this sorted properly soonish :D

Since I wasn't very happy with the result, I reverted the change in
http://musicbrainz.org/edit/14503147

Going forward, I think that it would be nice if perhaps recordings
could have aliases by language. Perhaps there should be some attribute
for official translations, if there is such a thing. With such a
scheme, we could get rid of lots of pseudo-releases and wouldn't have
to duplicate release events or any AR:s on those. Or should
translations be on the tracklist level perhaps?

--
Philip Jägenstedt