On 24/05/11 10:37, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 09:48, Kuno Woudt<k...@frob.nl>  wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 24/05/11 09:28, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>>> Going forward, I think that it would be nice if perhaps recordings
>>> could have aliases by language. Perhaps there should be some attribute
>>> for official translations, if there is such a thing. With such a
>>> scheme, we could get rid of lots of pseudo-releases and wouldn't have
>>> to duplicate release events or any AR:s on those. Or should
>>> translations be on the tracklist level perhaps?
>>
>> Translations at the tracklist level sounds sensible.  I think it's OK
>> to keep a single canonical name at the recording level.
>
> I guess that one downside of tracklist level translations is that you
> don't get translations of the same recordings if they appear on
> multiple releases for free.

That doesn't necessarily seem like a bad thing.  For certain kinds of
releases there are many translations, both official and unofficial.

I don't want those mixed up, so it seems easier to consider the entire
tracklist as a unit.  Releases with identical tracklists use the same
tracklist entry in the database, so translating the tracklist on one
release would already make that translation available to other releases
"for free".

-- kuno.