On 05/24/2011 08:02 AM, Dr Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> 2011/5/18 Lukáš Lalinský<lalin...@gmail.com>:
>> The original NGS documentation which was written by me [1] says that
>> works with different remixes should be merged together. The Work page
>> [2] however says that they should be kep separate. All people I've
>> discussed this with agree that they should be merged. Can I change the
>> Work page to remove the mention of remixes?
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Next_Generation_Schema#Work
>> [2] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Work
>>
> Can we please come to a decision on this?  I now have a number of
> merges being voted down (e.g. http://musicbrainz.org/edit/14496213)
> due to this dumb guideline.  It makes no sense to have remixes as
> separate works, especially when the remix AR is at recording level and
> covers are not separate works but are more different (new vocals, new
> production, etc.).  I really don't see the point in works if we're
> going to allow an artist's work catalogue to be filled with five or
> ten remixes of each song.
For the sake of consistency, I'd rather see the entire list of
"derivative works"[1] addressed, rather than just re-mixes. But this is
a good first step.

Putting most re-mix/mashup/medley/ Relationships at the Recording level
makes sense to me[2]. Or, put another way, some "distinctiveness"
belongs at the Performance level.

Alex / caller#6

[1] http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Work#Distinctiveness