On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 20:46 +0200, Aurélien Mino wrote:
> On 06/14/2011 01:19 PM, Calvin Walton wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 10:29 -0400, Calvin Walton wrote:
> >> This proposal is to add or change two ARs:
> >>
> >>        * Official Homepage
> >> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:Kepstin/Official_Homepage_Relationship_Type_Proposal
> >>        * Discography Entry
> >> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:Kepstin/Discography_Entry_Relationship_Type
> >
> > Does anyone else have any comments on this (or a +1, -1)?
>
> I took a look to examples you've added to both AR types,
> and honestly I had not seen any value to the linked pages.
> They just seem to have a track list.
>
> So you should IMO demonstrate that there are cases where these pages can
> be useful.
> And anyway if this AR type is accepted, it doesn't mean we will accept
> every proposed links.
>
> As someone else said in another thread, MB is not a link farm...

My intent with the 'discography entry' AR was to provide a way to attach
an official reference to the Musicbrainz entry - basically, to relate it
to the record label or artist's own database where appropriate. As well,
this will provide an easy-to-find reference for any future editors that
come along that they can check before making changes.

I know of a couple record label sites that include
composer/lyricist/arranger information on the discography pages, for
example. But I think the link is useful on its own, mostly as a
reference into an official database - an original source of information.

The official homepage AR for release groups serves a similar purpose,
but for a different type of page - a standalone "homepage", same as for
artists or labels. Often this page will provide some additional media
related to the album in question - the page on my example link has a PV
video, some wallpaper downloads, and extra liner notes, for example.

I can probably find some better examples - I pretty much just picked a
release that I had looked at recently.
The homepage link seems to be more useful for smaller, less commercial
artists: I will admit that I had the idea in part just because
http://thetrois.net/ is such a fun release page to play with (and also
contains a lot of credits and links to related people!).

--
Calvin Walton <calvin.wal...@kepstin.ca>