We should clearly keep classical out of this debate, since "arrangement" in
classical also stands for everything we'd call "cover performance" in other
music styles. In Classical the ongoing discussion whether a specific
arrangement or orchestration qualifies as a new derivative work tends to ask
for at least two distinct recordings. For non-classical music I could
imagine that one of the criteria for such a decision could be: Are there (or
could there be) *cover performances* of this specific version? Only then
should a new "arrangement" or "orchestration" or "remix" qualify as a new
work. Thoughts?