Look people,

We have plenty of obscure* classical work types out here.
But I feel we are missing some basic types.

At the moment, the list of understandable work types is :
→ Song (music + melodic lyrics)
→ Song cycle (I guess it’s a song suite, like in a concept album or song
sequence in parts**, etc.)

And here is something that would be useful (we could add hierarchy too) :

☞ Instrumental (music + no lyrics) ***
and optionals
☞ Spoken word (lyrics without melody + optional music)
☞ Poem (lyrics without melody + no music) (many songs derivate from this)

Feel free to discuss this above list, I’ll then write a RFC, even if I
absolutely have no idea how yet.

* Which might be not obscure to classical experts of course.
** Like for instance :
http://musicbrainz.org/work/92d39f93-d3db-4996-a127-d3b8ba12fd89
*** http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-2766

-----
jesus2099 × Ti = Tristan + patate12 ÷ saucisson7
mb : http://musicbrainz.org/user/jesus2099
mb userscripts : http://userscripts.org/users/31010/scripts