Hi, everyone:

I would appreciate review and comments on RFC-339:  Partial Works
Relationship Inheritance. The full proposal is at
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Proposal:Partial_Works_Relationship_Inheritance
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Proposal:Partial_Works_Relationship_Inheritance
. Comments welcome at that Wiki page, or on its Talk page, or here in this
thread.

This RFC is open at least 7 days, until November 5 GMT or later.  I consider
what I have there a first draft, and I'll want to polish the text at least
before it becomes a solid RFC.

I propose defining an inheritance of relationships between any two Works
joined by a Parts Relationship Type. This makes explicit the logical
consequence of the Parts Relationship Type's meaning: that one Work entity
is a part of another Work entity. Any Relationship which in any of the
Work-relatedRelationship Family has its meaning inherited (except Parts
Relationship Type, that would be too recursive).

This proposal is implemented by three changes:

1. Adding a new page Style/Work/Partial Works Relationship Inheritance, with
the text below
2. Adding a stub entry (below) to Style/Work (presently empty) to point to
Style/Work/Partial Works Relationship Inheritance
3. Adding text (below) to Parts Relationship Type, summarising and referring
to Style/Work/Partial Works Relationship Inheritance

Motivation

The composer, and sometimes librettist and arranger, are hugely important
pieces of metadata for classical, opera, and musical theatre music. It's why
we refer to Beethoven's 9th Symphony, or Gilbert and Sullivan operettas.
These compositions are frequently recorded many times by many different
performers, so more than other genres of music it will be common to have
many Recordings point to a single Musicbrainz Work entity. And these
compositions are large and long enough that a) the the composer breaks them
into smaller pieces (movements, acts, scenes, arias, numbers), and b)
Releases frequently break the recorded performance into multiple Tracks of a
Release. Hence, there's great value for MusicBrainz in having a way to store
metadata about musical compositions in a tree structure, with a single Work
entity to represent the entire composition, and child Work entities to
represent the composer or the Release publishers divisions of that
composition.

The Parts Relationship Type provides a way to represent a musical
composition in MusicBrainz as a tree structure. Right now it is the only
relationship between a whole composition and a partial composition. In the
future, other relationship types may be added, but for now, it's the only
one. The Parts Relationship Type description is silent about what meaning a
relationship with the Work at one end of the Parts relationship has for the
Work at the other end.

At the same time, it's important to be clear to which Work entities Advanced
Relationships like Composer and Librettist should be attached. In the past,
there has been similar confusion about when Release-Artist relationship
types should be used, when Track-Artist, for roles like Performer and
Producer. This led to an extensive debate in 2007-2008; the tip of this
iceberg can be seen at Talk:Artist Role Inheritance. Work entities are
something of a blank slate. We should state principles now, before there are
too many confounding entires in the database.

Behind these reasons lurks a larger one. MusicBrainz ability to handle
metadata for classical and opera works is hindered by the complexity of the
cultural traditions for naming these compositions, and naming the Tracks and
Releases of them. This is what has driven the Classical Style Guide to
become such a snarl. I believe that the Works entity will likely be a part
of the solution to this problem. While we don't know what form that solution
will take, it's pretty clear to me that having tree-structured Works
entities, and knowing who the Composer is, will be an important part. This
proposal is hopefully a brick which will become a small part of the bridge
to a better classical music and opera experience in MusicBrainz.

Comments welcome!
—Jim DeLaHunt http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/User:JimDeLaHunt