On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Wieland Hoffmann
<themi...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hallo Johannes Weißl:
>> >
>> > Again, I'm not talking about exclusives like some Best Buy edition or
>> > anything, I'm talking about releases where Bandcamp is the only one
>> > (except for the artist) involved in distributing the release.
>>
>> I still don't see at all why it should be used as label then. It even
>> makes it more strange: Why is Bandcamp suddenly the label of the release
>> if it is exclusively sold there, but not if it is also sold at CD Baby
>> or iTunes? Does the release loose it's label as soon as the artist
>> starts to sell it there?
>
> No, it's just that my focus was on Bandcamp exclusives, not releases
> like [0], [1] that are released on Bandcamp and some other digital label
> / distributor (although I'm interested in learning the difference
> between 8bp, Jamendo and Bandcamp :-) ).

As I said before, a label curates its content. I don't know how
Jamendo works (and whether it is a label at all) but the 8bp website
seems to indicate that you can send demos to them, they'll evaluate
them and decide if they want to put the music out in their label. Same
works for any reissue label - there's a conscious choice by the label
to put that out. BandCamp doesn't curate its content at all, it just
provides a (pretty convenient) place to upload it and let other people
buy it. In that way, it's not much different from, say, Rapidshare -
an artist who wants to put their music out can choose to self-release
a CD ([no label], even if they charge for it), put it for free
download in a RAR file in Mediafire / Rapidshare / their own site ([no
label], all of them) or put it on BandCamp and get a nicer service in
exchange of, if they charge, giving a percentage of the income to
BandCamp ([no label]). BandCamp has no active part in the decision
process. This is more clear in the case of *label* BandCamp pages,
such as http://tundradub.bandcamp.com/ (and at least for a while those
were all BandCamp exclusives - I think some of them can be downloaded
from iTunes now too). The label there is clearly Tundra, not BandCamp.

>> > But what is the difference between some picture on the (back) cover and
>> > the artist saying "Bandcamp is the official at which you can get my
>> > music" or "I am distributing my music through Bandcamp"?
>>
>> A picture on the back cover means that the picture is
>> forever/permanently tied to that particular release.
>
> But we're keeping track of the music, not (primarily) the pictures. And
> the music can be sold on other releases, someone with enough money can
> by some license / rights to put them on compilations, ….

Sure, but for releases, we keep track of the release :) I don't see
how licensing rights change that.

>> "Bandcamp is the official place at which you can get my music" can
>> change any time, e.g.  if the artist decides to sell/upload the
>> release on another store,
>
> How can MusicBrainz even keep track of CC-licensed releases at all, if
> *that* is a problem?

Because if you re-release the same music with a different license, any
of the two can be used with it (Johannes explained this when he
proposed the change to the new model of CC links). So if a new license
is given, both apply - you can just choose to follow one or the other.

> It's unfortunate that we would have to create a whole new release in
> that case, but MBS-2417 [2] is already asking for something like the old
> release events (especially lidels last comment).
>
> [0] http://musicbrainz.org/release/14fdebb2-9197-413b-a795-e065afc89f80
> [1] http://musicbrainz.org/release/7d9e24b4-f7a9-4d88-b695-c0fa2bebd19c
> [2] http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-2417
>
> --