2012/3/23 Kuno Woudt <k...@frob.nl>

> Hello,
>
> On 23/03/12 10:29, symphonick wrote:
> > 2012/3/22 Kuno Woudt <k...@frob.nl <mailto:k...@frob.nl>>
> >
> >     Hello,
> >
> >     On 22/03/12 12:52, caller#6 wrote:
> >      > I guess I don't understand what a "credit" is in this context.
> >      > Presumably, most releases (of any genre) will give both composer
> and
> >      > performer information /somewhere/. Where is the "artist credit"?
>

> > Why should we do that for classical releases? Compare with a standard
> > "pop" release tracklist:
>
> I was answering caller#6's question, which stated "of any genre".
>
> > For pop releases (except compilations) we always set track artist =
> > release artist. I don't have a very strong opinion on what we should set
> > the track artist field to for classical releases, but I don't see why it
> > should have to be empty?
>
> I just want artist credit to be empty when there is no artist credit.
>
> This in itself shouldn't be a problem, we don't go around adding
> "performed guitar" credits on recordings which do not have any guitar,
> etc..
>
> So, if you think each release and track in the database should have an
> artist credit, then it seems we have different ideas about what an
> artist credit is.  For me it is something which may not exist for
> particular tracks or releases.
>
> This does mean we're back at the question caller#6 rightly asked,
> "where is the artist credit?", or "what is the artist credit?".
>
> I attempted to answer those questions in my previous post.
>
> -- kuno / warp.

You spoke of a "column", which can only be seen on pop compilations AFAIK.
With your suggestion, if the front cover says "The Beatles" & the back
cover only has a list of tracks, should the tracklist be empty? The default
behaviour of the web UI puts the release artist as track artist (which can
be very annoying when you try to change it, BTW).

Can we get some real world examples (not from a retailer like
amazon/itunes) of when you believe the track artist field should be empty?

/symphonick