monxton-2 wrote

> Editor practik has submitted a series of edits to change the artist
> sortnames of a load of knights from, e.g.
>       Sargent, Malcolm, Sir
>       Sargent, Sir Malcolm
>

> His/her reference to the guidelines is:
>
> "Names beginning with an abbreviated title, such as Dr., DJ, or MC
> should have the title treated as if it were a part of the first name."
> "SPC Stephen Pauls has sort name 'Pauls, SPC Stephen'"
> http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Artist/Sort_Name
>
> I could argue that Sir is not an abbreviated title, but otherwise I have
> to agree that appears to be what the guidelines say ... but why? I don't
> think that's how we would collate these names in RL, and I don't want to
> reorganise my shelves when the New Year's Honours are published. I want
> Andrew Davis to sort before Colin Davis (oh, they're both knighted now -
> does it come with the job?).

What's RL?

I suspect this is, in part, the kind of mixup that happens when someone
whose background is mostly in print media (me) starts mucking around in the
digital realm.  "Sargent, Sir Malcolm" actually *is* the normal way to
format proper names in indexes, according to the type of style guidelines
I'm used to dealing with.  Of course, in that world the sorting is not
dependent on the formatting, since a human editor can intervene to make sure
"Sir Andrew" comes after "Alan" and before "Arthur."  But in this world, the
prefixes clearly belong at the end ... which means I have a bunch of edits
to cancel, argh.

By the way, in doing those edits I came across some cases, mostly
performance names, that might merit attention in the guidelines.  How should
we sort names like:

Sir Aah
Dr Sir Warrior
Mark Sir Risky
Sir Paul Hotwired
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

?

I also noticed that the Guess Sort Name button, as it's currently
programmed, recognizes "Dr." and "DJ" as prefixes and puts them at the end,
but not "Sir."  So that needs a tweak as well.

Patrick