On 10 May 2012 05:30, Dibou <d...@boudon.nom.fr> wrote:
> And what about mediums / tracklists ?
> You maight be interested in reading that post
> http://lists.musicbrainz.org/pipermail/musicbrainz-style/2011-July/012391.html

Thanks; I didn't see this.

A seems like the same solution but going down a level instead of up.
Sadly it would need an entire schema change as mediums/tracklists, for
some bizarre reason, weren't made into MB entities.
B is what I'm proposing.
C is the kludge Nicolas proposes above which doesn't actually solve
the problem as the duplicate ARs are still created.  It just reduces
the work slightly.
D I like because it makes the result more tractable; you don't have to
go up to tracklist/release/RG-level to get all the ARs and they apply
to the recording when it appears on a completely different release.
The only problem I see there is that it doesn't solve the problem for
ARs that do need to be at release group level; exec. producer,
artwork, etc.  It just works for the 'assistant engineers with no
assigned tracks' and, even
then, how would it deal with an existing more-specific AR already being there?

So what I'm proposing (B) seems the right solution, given the issues
with D.  A would be preferable but we basically need a redesign on the
level of NGS to get it.

> and that ticket http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-603

Yeah, I know about this and commented on it.  I actually filed a
similar bug which was marked as a dupe of this (being specific to the
DJ mix/compiled by issue).

I really don't understand why mediums were explicitly created as
something outside the usual entity hierarchy. If they had MBIDs, we
could very easily add ARs to them now, even if they had none to start
with.

> --

Andii :-)