Den 12-11-2012 02:03, Sheamus Patt skrev:
>I still have trouble understanding why it's so important to make these
>distinctions at the recording level when they're already at the release
>level. [...]

Because "Recording" is the closest entity to the track. So if you have
"random_file.mp3" with only the Recording MBID and look it up, you won't
be able to tell which release it is from - and thus also not whether
it's from an analog or digital source or whatever.

>[...] I'm not a big fan of that name as it offers little
>information about why the recordings are grouped. I'd prefer "Session",

I've been thinking about "Performance" as a possible name, but this is
bikeshedding, so I won't be too picky as long as we get this fixed. :)

>As it stands, I'll continue to advocate sharing recordings in cases like
>"Live at the Troubadour" (King/Taylor) [...] The audio
>tracks on the CD are also video tracks on the DVD, so why wouldn't they
>be the same recording? The recording equipment is the same, I'm sure.

Because a video isn't the same as an audio recording. Also, without
having any in-depth knowledge, I'd guess that a for-video and a
for-audio master would have been differently mixed, thus actually
containing different audio data, even if the source recordings were the
same. (If anyone knows about this, please educate. :))

>However, the new interpretations of "unique audio" seems to prefer that
>they be split, with no existing relationship to show that they're the
>same recording other than perhaps the disambiguation comment or (because
>it's related to a work) a performance date.

Make an RFC for such a relationship! I'm fairly sure no one would object
to that, and it would make it easier to find "Recordings" of the same
"Performance/Session" once we get proper support for that.

I'll advocate against merging recordings that aren't the same track, as
it's very much possibly to lose information that way right now. (Both
directly and indirectly - by having e.g. a clearly different audio with
its own identifiers (e.g., AcoustIDs) merged into another, just because
they happen to have the same source recording session(s)/performance(s).
Let's get the system fixed and _then_ start merging away - this time
without losing data.

--
Namasté,
Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>