Hello,

Proposal is to add "Soundtrack" work type for movies/theater plays and
musicals. It should be possible to use it:
1. As a placeholder. When no individual songs within movie are
named/specified then we just express that composer wrote music for
that movie.
2. As a container for individual songs that are part of that movie.
Between container and parts there will be "is part of" relationship.

Probably instead of just one universal "Soundtrack" we can add more
specific "Movie", "Theater play", "Musical", "Computer game" -
currently I use tags for distinguishing these, but more direct support
would be perfect.

The sample of all soundtracks by "Imants Kalniņš":

http://musicbrainz.org/search?query=type%3ASong-cycle+AND+artist%3AImants+Kalni%C5%86%C5%A1&type=work&limit=25&method=advanced

Currently I've used "song-cycle" to express the idea that this is
collection of smaller individual songs.
But as "reosarevok" pointed out this is "that's definitely *not* what
a song-cycle is".

I can only wish that documentation for MB would actually mention work
types at all. How can one know what is correct and what is not if it
is discussed only in mailing list or IRC.

Please vote for that universal "Soundtrack" or more detailed "Movie"
and "Theater play". I am not sure whether musical should have it's own
or can be used together with "Theater play".

Thanks

Dainis