2013/4/30 Tom Crocker <tomcrockerm...@gmail.com>

> On 30 April 2013 10:27, symphonick <symphon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> 2013/4/30 Tom Crocker <tomcrockerm...@gmail.com>
>>
>>> I'm not sure whether this helps:
>>>
>>> Editing involves adding, removing, lengthening, shortening or
>>> re-arranging audio track. Other processes commonly referred to as audio
>>> editing are not included for the purposes of this definition, as they are
>>> not relevant to defining distinct recordings.
>>>
>>> Here I'm thinking you're talking about changes to pitch, getting rid of
>>> glitches, little fades in and out, etc.
>>>

>> And altering the level of the track, say raising the levels of the vocals
>> for a "radio edit". Possibly anything you can do to an audio track in
>> software could be defined as "editing"?
>>

> Yes, it all comes under the broad heading of editing - particularly now
> it's in software - but I don't think it matters that we use it more
> specifically here.
>

>> Or, are you meaning that some new mixes are called edits?
>>>

>> Yes. I'll see if I can dig up some examples.
>>

> So,
>  *Editing *involves adding, removing, lengthening, shortening or
> re-arranging audio track. Other processes commonly referred to as audio
> editing are not included for the purposes of this definition, as they
> either involve mixing or are not relevant to defining distinct recordings.
>
> It's a bit wordy, but is something along these lines what you're aiming
> for?

Not quite, more like "an edit can mean a lot of things, use what's
printed".
Of course, there could possibly be different descriptions of the same
recording on re-issues... Or there is no description ("mix" or "edit").

BTW here's how "radio edit" it's defined on wikipedia: "In music, a *radio
edit* modification to make a song more suitable for airplay, whether it be
adjusted for length,  profanity, subject matter, instrumentation, or form."

/symphonick