I agree it won't be regularly used. However, I don't think the bits I added
complicated the definition, because the definition itself stands alone and
is the only definition in there. The rest of it is explanation to help
ensure people understand it in the way we intend, not just now but in the
future. Actually, that's why I was finally happy to add microphone in
there. I thought it was a (very) bad idea to put it in any definition,
because it is so specific, but to use it to help explain what the
definition of recording means seems like a good idea to me. IMO, what I
added is an expanded version of the sentence you had there before, taken at
a slower pace and with a bit more detail.