I was going to suggest something similar. :)

"A MusicBrainz recording represents the audio from which multiple release
tracks were copied or mastered"

This and lixobix's version are also more specific about which the audio is.
Personally I think having copying in there helps with understanding for
people who've never heard of mastering and neatly covers the 'not mastered'
case.
You could even replace 'represents' with 'is' to keep it more real world
and less database
"A MusicBrainz recording is an abstract group of similar release tracks, and
represents the audio in those tracks before it was mastered."

If it IS an abstract group of release tracks, then since release tracks have
been mastered, it must contain mastering, contradicting the second part of
the sentence.

"A MusicBrainz recording is the audio that is common to an abstract group of
similar release tracks, prior to any mastering being undertaken for those
release tracks".

This works better, because it defines recordings as the audio itself that it
common to the group.