Okay, the first sentence is a bit of a mouthful, but I think it does the
formal job. Hopefully someone can come up with a more elegant way of saying
the latter bit. The second sentence is hopefully a more readable (but less
specific) explanation. The third sentence does a deliberately minimalist
job of defining mastering,

"In MusicBrainz a recording is the audio from which multiple release tracks
were copied or mastered, but is not itself the direct product of copying or
mastering.
In other words, a recording represents a step in the audio production
process, before mastering or copying, but after other processes such as
editing or mixing.
Mastering is the (optional) process by which recordings are prepared for
release."

The tongue-twister at the end of the first sentence is trying to get around
the: recording could have had masters produced from it, recording could
have been produced from mastered audio, recording is not itself the direct
product of mastering conundrum.

Personally, I don't think we need to put masters in there in the way
lixobix suggests, partly because they are optional, there are potentially
several in a sequence, but also, the point of abstraction is you don't have
to describe the detail of everything.