On May 6, 2013 3:17 PM, "Frederic Da Vitoria" <davito...@gmail.com> wrote:

> First of all, please remember that English is not my native tongue, I
don't even live in an English-speaking country, so what follows will
certainly need some reformulation. I am so unsure about this that I avoided
entering it in PiratePad at this stage.

> Here we go:
>
> The MusicBrainz Recordings table is a list of distinct significant audio
steps previous to the last mastering. Common examples of these audio steps
are editing and mixing.
> Distinct because we don't want or need to have two identical rows.
> Significant because adding a row should allow to enter specific data
(ARs) which could not be entered otherwise. No need to create a Recording
for the editing step and one for the mixing step if editing and mixing were
the only things which happened to a a given audio; just create one
Recording and link both ARs to it.
> Previous to the last mastering because mastering is not intended to be
specified at Recording level. Mastering may have it's own level in
MusicBrainz in the future, but until then all final mastering information
will go to release/track level. Mastered audio may be part of the steps
which led to a Recording, but mastering should not be the last step.
> Comments about above: I am not saying a MB Recording is a common world
recording, I am not confusing the (common world) object and our
representation. Furthermore, I am not suggesting a Recording matches a real
world object. I try to avoid this (IMO) false idea by defining the
Recordings table as a list rather than trying to define a single Recording
row. I thought about replacing "significant" with "relevant", but I felt
that "significant" fit better what I meant.

> BTW, I notice that LordSputnik tried to achieve similar results in his
last attempts :-)

Because it looked like we had a solution of sorts in LordSputnik's
definition I didn't respond to this in detail, but thank you for giving us
a sense of your ideas.

To clarify, when you say you don't think it matches a real world object,
are you meaning a specific physical thing (like a reel of tape) or more
generally it doesn't match a concept? To me, it could take any number of
forms, but it would have existed at some point in time, and is
distinguishable by the processes that produced it (capture/editing/mixing),
and the processes that have been applied to the audio it contains
(copying/mastering).