I thought about "before any mastering has taken place", but that implies
that no mastered material has been used.

I don't think that "A MusicBrainz recording represents the audio shared
between a group of similar release tracks" is too conceptual any more,
since it *doesn't* really correspond to any particular thing in the real
world. There are things which we can think of as recordings, but it'll
always be an entity defined by MB for our own purposes.

Perhaps we could make a second paragraph like you've been saying, and move
the mastering bit into that?

Eg. "In reality, the closest thing a recording corresponds to is a step in
the audio production process, before final mastering, but after editing and
mixing."