Good question. I had "canonical title" (from the dev page) in the (2013)
classical titles proposal. I changed it when I realized it wasn't a
guideline.
I'm fine with both versions, what I can say is that "original" is probably
easier for classical music, since there will (in a majority of cases) be a
"first" version somewhere, perhaps available for download. For a canonical
title, you need access to a recent score, and there might be different
editions and different versions of the title to choose from.
Otoh with "canonical" we don't have to use archaic titles as the default
title, and I assume we can use the upcoming "advanced attributes" to store
original titles (like Passio Domini Nostri J.C. Secundum Evangelistam
Matthaeum).

I suppose that's a good solution for renamed works too (when we're not
dealing with different versions that should be separate works).
I'll revert to "canonical" if people think that's better; this guideline
should not be classical-specific.

2013/10/22 Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen <freso...@gmail.com>

> Den 22-10-2013 11:20, symphonick skrev:
> > I've started a works titles guideline. Suggestions and examples welcome,
> > it's supposed to cover the whole of MB, not just classical.
>
> Re:
> > Try to establish the original title in the original language and use
> this in the title field.
>
> I know of at least one example of a Work that was later renamed by the
> author. I really do feel that work should be using its "current" name
> and have the old name as an alias. Is this a case of ArtistIntent or
> would the guideline state that the work should indeed by called by its
> original title in the db? Either way, some clarification on this
> scenario would be appreciated.
>
> --
> Namasté,
> Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>