I used to have a fairly large collection of square dance 45s.  My impression is 
that studio musicians would often make up a melody so it is possible that the A 
part of Dusty Road was made up.  The B part does sound familiar though.



Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 30, 2019, at 1:39 AM, jim saxe via Musicians 
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> For many years--even from before "modern western" square dance substantially 
> diverged from its traditional roots--square dance music producers have 
> sometimes released recordings of traditional tunes under new names.  I'm not 
> sure of the reason.  Perhaps the idea was to get callers to buy multiple 
> recordings of the same tune.  Or perhaps the producers thought the new names 
> would help them claim copyrights.  I dunno.  Anyway, this page from Vic and 
> Debbie Ceder's square dance record database
> 
>     https://www.ceder.net/recorddb/viewsingle.php?RecordId=9791&SqlId=249698
> 
> includes sound clips from the A and B sides of Sets In Order record 69 / 70, 
> identified with the titles "Dusty Roads" and "Rubber Dolly" respectively. I 
> suspect that these tunes may have other, more common/familiar/traditional 
> titles, and I'm wondering whether any of you can help me identify them.
> 
> "Dusty Roads" is the one I'm more curious about.  It sure seems familiar, but 
> I can't place it.
> 
> I've read that "Rubber Dolly" is an alternate title for "Back Up And Push".  
> After listening to a few versions of "Back Up And Push" that I found on the 
> intertubes, I find that I can just maybe possibly imagine the version of 
> "Rubber Dolly" cited above as a variant of the same tune.  But I'm not at all 
> sure someone mightn't identify a different traditional title that wouldn't 
> require so much of a reach.
> 
> A search for "Rubber Dolly" in the Ceder database turns up a number of other 
> cuts under that title that seem like closer matches to the Youtube videos 
> I've found of "Back Up And Push," at least in the A part.  Some of those 
> "Back Up And Push" videos have the B part played in a very ornamented style 
> (derived from bluegrass and/or contest fiddling?) that makes it hard for my 
> musical muggle brain even to discern the underlying melody.  There don't seem 
> to be any versions of "Dusty Roads" in the database besides the one I've 
> cited--at least not under that title.
> 
> If you identify traditional titles for either of these tunes, it would be 
> helpful if you could also supply links to recordings (e.g., mp3 files or 
> Youtube videos) under those titles that illustrate the resemblance to the 
> clips I've asked about.  I say that because whatever tune(s) you mention 
> might exist in widely different versions, and the titles might even be 
> associated with other, unrelated tunes.
> 
> I also realize that some MWSD releases may be mishmashes stitched together 
> using fragments of multiple traditional tunes, but I have no idea whether 
> either "Dusty Roads" or "Rubber Dolly" is such a frankenstune.
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> --Jim
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Musicians mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.sharedweight.net/listinfo.cgi/musicians-sharedweight.net

_______________________________________________
Musicians mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.sharedweight.net/listinfo.cgi/musicians-sharedweight.net

Reply via email to