Max Kellermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> - I have decided to switch to C99.  The standard will have its tenth
>   birthday soon, and I don't think we should support people with a
>   compiler which is more than a decade old.  Move on, C99 is great.

I like some of C99, too.

However, my mpd will stay compatible with gcc 2.95 as long as
there's enough people using Linux 2.4.x (which could be a long time,
since 2.4.x is a _great_ kernel for those on older hardware).

Migrating toolchains is a seriously difficult chore for those on less
powerful/popular platforms.  Forcing people to upgrade is not something
I'll ever consider lightly (I also detest the culture of consumerism via
obsolescence that hardware/software manufacturers promote to stay in
business).

Also, C99 may be 10 years old, but early gcc 3.x versions were unusable
crap.  So actual usable toolchains with reasonable C99 support only
started to appear 3-4 years ago...

--
Eric Wong