Hello,

This is my first message on this mailing list so let me introduce myself:
My name is Marc Pavot and I'm the developer of Ario :
http://ario-player.sourceforge.net

Ario was first designed as a MPD client but I'm currently implementing a
support of XMMS2 to let users have a unique client for both servers.

I really prefer MPD over XMMS2 but I have found (at least) two interesting
features in XMMS2 that were lacking in MPD:
- Support of empty tags. It was the subject of issue 464 in mantis and it
was closed with the inclusion of a patch I have proposed.
- I think that the approach currently used in MPD graphical clients (getting
the MPD status a few times every second) is not very good in terms of CPU
and bandwidth consumption. XMMS2 solves this issue with the definition of
signals and broadcasts and lets the client applications subscribe to these
signals.
I have seen the inclusion in MPD 0.14 of an 'idle' command that could solve
this issue but I don't really know how to use it as a client developer.
Is there any plan to include a support of 'idle' command in libmpdclient? If
yes, how do you plan to implement it? As far as I understand, when you are
in 'idle' mode, you are blocking until an event occurs (song change, volume
change etc...). It doesn't look really usable in a graphical client.

Anyway if you need help to implement this feature, I could work on it.

Marc