Hi

> Why not? The client can let the connection block until something
> happens, or it can abort idle as soon as he wishes to use the
> connection for something else.  That is simple, but powerful.

 As already proposed by someone else, a publish-subscribe protocol would be
much more appropriate because with the 'idle' approach:
- you have to send 'noidle' command each time you want to send another
command
- you have to send 'idle' again after this command
- you have to send 'idle' again each time a notification has been done
- you cannot subscribe to receive only some of the notifications

> I could really need a helping hand on libmpdclient.  Are you familiar
> with asynchronous I/O?
>
> I am not an expert of asynchronous I/O but it may be time to become one
:-).

Marc